Re: Package distribution, a concept for a modern package distribution

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 06:14:46PM +0200, Otto Wyss wrote:
> The concept is based on an LDAP server (or simiar) as a replacement for
> the Packages file and on a P2P network for package distribution (see
> http://wyodesktop.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=pkgdist.html). IMO it
> would make a lot sense if this concept is discussed at the Debconf5.

i actually wrote something that exported a local mirror/server's Packages.gz
file into an LDAP directory[1], as well as wrote the beginnings of an
add-on method to apt to query this server.  as far as speed/transfer
efficiency goes, we're an order or two of magnitude at the very least.
however, there hasn't seemed to be much interest from others in my
continuing it, so i've been focusing on other things lately.

also, there's a limitation in apt that it expects the list of
packages to be retrieved through the same method as the packages
themselves, which would get a little hairy with LDAP (you don't want to
be holding the packages themselves, in LDAP of course).  there could
be a quick-hack workaround for this by having ldap-ftp/ldap-http methods
that wrap around the ftp/http for the actual fetching, but a real fix
would be to patch apt to allow for this.  such a patch would also make
it easier to distribute the packages list via other methodst too.

anyway if there are more people interested in working on this, i'd be
willing to put my code in cvs/svn and start up an alioth project.

	sean

[1] see "Package Lists via LDAP" http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2004/48/