Re: ftp-master, ftp and db .debian.org moving - hosting sought

On 6/22/05, Peter Samuelson <peter@p12n.org> wrote:

> [Olaf van der Spek]
> > I've been wondering, would it be an idea (for the long-term) to use
> > (more) distributed ... or p2p concepts to reduce the dependency and
> > load on central servers?
>
> Please give some specific examples of what you mean.

I'm not sure how exactly the current mirrors work, but syncing
(primary) mirrors between eachother instead of all from a master may
be an idea.

> I hope you aren't suggesting that the mirror network be replaced by
> bittorrent.  That would suck for just about everybody.

I'd not immediately suggest replacing it by BT, but using (or at least
looking at) BT-like concepts may certainly be an interesting idea.