Re: Testing package installation, upgrading, and removal

On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 04:15:08AM +0300, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> Frank Lichtenheld and others have brought up the idea of automatically
> testing installation, upgrading, and removal of packages. It struck me
> that it should be pretty simple to implement at least basic versions of
> this. The result: http://liw.iki.fi/liw/download/piuparts-0.4.tar.gz
>
> I have attached the manual page.
>
> The current version is quite simplistic. It may well be too simplistic
> to work for more than in simple cases, but it's a start.
>
> I'd be very curious to hear about suggestions for improvements.

how about an optional debian/package.piuparts file that would contain
the syntax to make runtime tests? this would allow to check that
executables can be run, and possibly that their result is consistent. it
could even be used to detect memory leaks.

a few (badly written) examples:

debian/bc.piuparts
--
expr `echo 3^3 | bc -l` = 27