Re: Minutes of Debian Installer IRC meeting of 20050618

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 01:37:55AM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Jun 19, Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
> > It becomes obvious that maintaining the 2.4 compatibility may become
> > harder and harder. This is however a key point if we want to keep the
> > etch installer able to install sarge.
> Why? sarge as is supports 2.6 kernels up to 2.6.11.

The sarge installer doesn't quite - 2.6.9 kernels and above need newer
rootskel and base-config if you want the framebuffer to work properly on
i386/amd64 systems. I'm sure there are other issues I don't know about.

My first instinct for sarge d-i maintenance is to provide builds against
newer 2.6.8 kernels supplied by the kernel team, with additional
targetted fixes for known d-i bugs. This would all go in via
proposed-updates, and debian-installer would build initrds from stable +
stable-security + proposed-updates.

It would not surprise me if people wanted 2.6.11 for improved SATA
support; before committing to that, though, we'd need to know whether
the stable RM would be willing to accept 2.6.11 kernel .debs into a
point release of sarge. My strong inclination would be to provide this
as an option (perhaps with special images in a different area of
cdimage.debian.org), not as the default.

As Marco notes, 2.6.12 would require a udev upgrade, and 2.6.13 requires
the conversion of the installer and initrd-tools away from devfs (both
of which are in progress for etch, but not yet finished), so support for
new kernels in sarge starts to look increasingly unlikely after 2.6.11.