Re: Testing package installation, upgrading, and removal

Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> Frank Lichtenheld and others have brought up the idea of automatically
> testing installation, upgrading, and removal of packages. It struck me
> that it should be pretty simple to implement at least basic versions of
> this. The result: http://liw.iki.fi/liw/download/piuparts-0.4.tar.gz
>
> I have attached the manual page.
>
> The current version is quite simplistic. It may well be too simplistic
> to work for more than in simple cases, but it's a start.
>
> I'd be very curious to hear about suggestions for improvements.

I want to run a test that installs each package in woody in turn,
upgrades them to sarge, then to sid, then purges it, then looks for
/usr/doc and /usr/info stuff that is were produced during the package's
install or upgrade and not removed.

>        If the package is known to apt-cache, piuparts  also  does  an  upgrade
>        test,  where  it  first	installs  the  package	with apt-get, and then
>        installs from the package files given on the command line, and  finally
>        removes	and  purges  everything that got installed.  The assumption is
>        that the version apt-get finds is older	than  the  package  file.  The
>        upgrade test is not performed if -a is used.

I think this can not quite do it, since the chroot will need to be a
woody chroot but get at least partially upgraded in each test to allow
installation of the sarge and sid packages. It looks like piuparts is
otherwise close to the tool I need.

--
see shy jo