Re: Greylisting for @debian.org email, please

* Pierre Habouzit (madcoder@debian.org) [050617 17:34]:
> > > I perfectly understand what SMTP is, and I perfectly *don't*
> > > understand why having a 30 minutes delay or even a 2 or 3 hours
> > > delay in some conditions is tolerable.
> >
> > Come one. We're speaking on additional 5 minutes on the first
> > connection. Greylist works quite well for me, and I really hope that
> > we manage to deploy anti-spam-tools on Debian.
>   you didn't read one of my first posts : when the mail you receive
> comes from a big big big MX, and that they see a greylisted domain,
> since the time is sometimes 5 minutes, somtimes 10 and sometimes 20,
> they choose to deliberately let those mail in the queue for 30 to 60
> minutes. if there is 2 or 3 such MX that relay the mail before it
> arrives to its final destination, it can induce 2 to 3 hours delays (I
> already saw it) and it's painful.

First of all, E-Mail is no real time medium. It was never intended so.

Also, skillfull mail admins should whitelist known good hosts. For
example, I never greylist any debian.org-host for obvious reasons. :)

>   Greylisting should *not* be a default rule for incoming mail, it has
> to many nasty side effects.

Well, actually the amount of spam is the more nasty side effect,
especially for those of us who are on good spammed mail accounts.