Re: setting umask globally

On 16-Jun-05, 17:23 (CDT), martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:
> Is there any point in following through with the /etc/umask.conf
> proposal? libpam-umask is optional after all, and unless people know
> about it, they'll edit multiple files wrt umask, and we *could*
> unify this with relative ease.

And unless they know about the completely non-standard /etc/umask.conf,
they'll still edit multiple files. These days, any sort of "I want the
same setting of 'x' for all the different ways people can login" should
instantly make you think "I wonder if there's a PAM module that sets
'x'?". And usually there is. Except for environment variables[1].

Steve

[1] Yeah, I know about pam_env, but it I've never been able to get it do
what I want (add $HOME/bin to PATH.) Probably lack of clue on my part.

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net