Re: Greylisting for @debian.org email, please

Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> writes:
> What's painful about it?
> It stops a lot of viruses and spam, with no false positives. What's the
> problem?

"No false positives" seems a bit optimistic.

One problem I've encountered in the past is big mail providers (like
yahoo) who will send retries from _different_ servers, which sometimes
don't even have a DNS entry (maybge it's just DNS propagation delay, I
don't know).

How do greylisting services determine that a message is being resent
(and so should be accepted this time)?  If it's by hostname or host
address, this would sometimes fail with systems like the above.

I'm beginning to think that life is just one long Yoko Ono album; no rhyme
or reason, just a lot of incoherent shrieks and then it's over.  --Ian Wolff