Re: Ongoing Firefox (and Thunderbird) Trademark problems

* Marco d'Itri (md@Linux.IT) wrote:
> On Jun 16, Eric Dorland <eric@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > I'm not trying to say it's non-free. It is free. What I'm trying to
> > determine is if we should use the marks within Debian. Let me try
> Good. This was not obvious at all by reading your precedent postings.

Ok, I did state that many times I thought, I was trying to get that
point across.

> > another example. If, say, the Apache Foundation came to us and said,
> > "Sure the code is free, but that's our trademark you're using. It will
> > cost you $5000 a year to use that trademark in Debian". Now we could
> > easily afford this as a project, would we do it? I don't think we
> > would do it, even though we could because a strict interpretation of
> > the DFSG says trademarks don't matter.
> We would quickly tell them to FOAD, because it's a request that
> everybody would agree is unreasonable.

I'm glad we can at least see eye to eye on this one.

> > The point I'm trying to make is that clearly not all trademark terms
> > are reasonable.
> Sure. And the point most people here are trying to make is that they
> consider the MF demands reasonable and acceptable for Debian.

Indeed, the most vocal (and rational) contributors seem to be saying
these demands are reasonable. I'm still not convinced.

> Now that we agreed that trademarks are not forbidden by the DFSG, if you
> really feel strongly about the need for users of a totally unrestricted
> firefox package, why don't you build it as well? Then users and custom
> distributions would be able to choose the one which better suits their
> needs.

Twice as much work? Thanks a bunch :-P

--
Eric Dorland <eric.dorland@mail.mcgill.ca>