Re: links to logs in /etc? (/etc/postgresql/7.4/main/log)

Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
In article <[🔎] 1118700799.8013.23.camel@esme.liw.iki.fi> you wrote:

That said, the Debian Policy document does mandage use of the Filesystem
Hierarchy Standard (FHS), which in turn describes /etc like this: "/etc
contains configuration files and directories that are specific to the
current system". This cannot reasonably be interpreted to mean anything
than "configuration stuff only". When I say reasonably, I mean that a
sharp lawer-like mind might interpret it in whatever way they wish, on a
larch, but that is not useful for building an operating system.

Not that I like it, but a link in etc to the log direcoty is as good as a
config gile containing "logdir=". Only that the former is easier to use. And
since debian does place a lot of (alternative) links in etc it is a well
accepted config method. However I am not sure if it is used that way in the
package.

ok, that's gotta be invalid argument since this could be argued for ANY file so you would end up with links to EVERYTHING in /etc, so that program would know where to find libraries, binaries, images, web pages (hey! we need a way to store URLs in filesystem) etc.

  I guess you were joking...

	erik