Re: And now for something completely different... etch!

md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) writes:

> On Jun 08, Roger Leigh <rleigh@whinlatter.ukfsn.org> wrote:
>
>> > Wrong. The problem is packages which need to interact with text files,
>> > mail and usenet messages generated by broken software, and for which
>> > assuming UTF-8 would be totally wrong.
>> This is completely orthogonal to making UTF-8 the default locale
>> codeset.
> No, it's not because most applications do not allow setting a different
> "default charset".

Please could you re-read what I wrote?  What you are saying does not
follow from that.

By default locale charset, I'm referring to the defaults in the
locales package, which are used to generate /etc/locale.gen.  If you
don't want UTF-8 locales, choose the alternatives at this point.  End
of problem.

If you chose both UTF-8 and old locales, there's also the system
default in /etc/environment, which you set to whatever you want.  In
addition if you don't want this systemwide default, you just choose a
different locale, or override it in your .bashrc or with gdm or
wherever.  Where's the difficulty in that?

>> Please bear in mind that this is a change we need to make, which most
>> of the major commercial distributions did over a year ago, if not
>> before.
> This hardly makes it a "need".

GNU/Linux has been slowly moving to UCS since the late '90s.  We are
now well past the point where it's mostly usable and ready for proper
use.  Debian is well behind the times here.

As something to ponder: with all current gcc's in Debian, UTF-8 and
UCS-4 are used as the internal narrow and wide string literal encoding
in all binaries, independent of the C source encoding.  See
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.c.moderated/browse_thread/thread/b421c9ec1894f818/a688cf269948db80#a688cf269948db80
for an example.

> Unsurprisingly, looks you live in a country where anything else than
> US-ASCII was rarely used in the past.

ISO-8859-1 actually.  But this is not really topical.

Regards,
Roger

- --
Roger Leigh