Re: New Debian Package Customization HOWTO

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 03:09:02PM +0200, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:

> I guess many people confuse pbuilder and sbuild here , two entirely
> different pieces of software:
>
> pbuilder untars a tarball of a clean build system, copies the source
> into the chroot, installs the build dependencies there, builds the
> package, copies the generated packages out and deletes the whole chroot

I have used both and noticed this behavior.

> sbuild uses an existing chroot, copies the source there, installs the
> build dependencies, builds the package, copies the generated packages
> out and deinstalls the build dependencies
>
> The buildds use sbuild. Most individual developers I know use
> pbuilder...

OK.  I was under the impression they used pbuilder.  But then, IANADD,
so I don't *really* know.  After having used both, I found pbuilder to
be more convenient, especially since Manoj gave me a recipe that
automates the the whole with pdebuild from within the package source, to
include the signing part.

> So nothing complicated here. Just don't talk about the wrong software in
> the wrong context.

Got it.  In order to avoid furhter confusion, I have removed any mention
of buildds and sbuild and simply discuss the policy requirement that
dictates that pacakges build with only build-essential + Build-Depends
and why that is a good idea even for non-official packages.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr