Re: New Debian Package Customization HOWTO

On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 10:28:24PM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 08:53:06PM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
> > Hi Roberto,
> > I read it and it seems great! Haven't had a change to build anything yet
> > but I'm sure it will help me when I do. a minor typo, search for
> > 'since'. As someone commented, I believe pbuilder does not clean the
> > chroot. for slow archs like arm and m68k, it would be inefficient to
> > rebuild all the dependencies for building KDE on arm after every change,
> > as an example.  And I dont think someone making a personal packages
> > would want to waste the time to clean it.  Keep up the great work,
> > you'll be a DD before Etch (at least I hope so) is released!
[...]
> As far as for building personal packages, you are right.  But, as the
> default pbuilder behavior is to wipe out the temporary chroot after
> every session, that should work for most people.  I haven't read far
> enough into the docs to find out how to get it preserve the installed
> packages, but that is because I like being able to build in a clean
> environment every time and don't have an inclination to change it.  But,
> your point is taken.

I guess many people confuse pbuilder and sbuild here , two entirely
different pieces of software:

pbuilder untars a tarball of a clean build system, copies the source
into the chroot, installs the build dependencies there, builds the
package, copies the generated packages out and deletes the whole chroot

sbuild uses an existing chroot, copies the source there, installs the
build dependencies, builds the package, copies the generated packages
out and deinstalls the build dependencies

The buildds use sbuild. Most individual developers I know use
pbuilder...

So nothing complicated here. Just don't talk about the wrong software in
the wrong context.

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>