Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 11:29:02AM -0400, Dale C. Scheetz wrote:

> >From the first CD I installed, I realized it was a fork...and a disapointing
> one at that. (Pretty desktop on live CD didn't install from installation CD,

Can you explain what you mean by this statement about the CD?  Did the
installation fail?

> but the fact that their archives only hold their limited package set, found
> on the CDs, made it apparent that they were a separate distro, based on
> Debian but not necessarily compatible with Debian.)

A few minutes' more exploration (a peek at /etc/apt/sources.list) would have
revealed that in fact everything you would expect to find is available in
the archives, though only a subset of it is presented by default.

--
 - mdz