Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 00:25:01 -0400
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:

> (To answer the thread leader, I consider Ubuntu to be more and more of a
> fork and less and less a derivative distribution. If Ubuntu doesn't
> start to re-converge with Debian significantly after sarge is released,
> and we end up with two sets of X.org packaging, etc, then I will give up
> and just consider it purely a fork.)
>

>From the first CD I installed, I realized it was a fork...and a disapointing
one at that. (Pretty desktop on live CD didn't install from installation CD,
but the fact that their archives only hold their limited package set, found
on the CDs, made it apparent that they were a separate distro, based on
Debian but not necessarily compatible with Debian.)

Knoppix is much better about using Debian packages and adding configuration
integration of a much wider range of Debian packages. as well as installing
on hard drive ready to modify and upgrade. (Although these days I'm using
Bonzi to install Debian, with great success. The autoconfiguration of USB
is quite useful, almost as good as DLS{another Debian derivative})

However, the coolest thing I have seen that uses Debian is the NOKIA 770
Wi-Fi tablet available in September of this year. Their argument for using
Debian was that apt-get would keep the machine upgraded for life. Yes, their
"Internet Tablet 2005 sofware edition" is probably a fork, the implication
on Hack-a-Day is that other packages and applications can be added to this
machine. Their own web site doesn't say a thing about Debian, but their
developers site (maemo.org makes it clearer under "Building and installing
Debian packages"). This could be a fun hack, and the solution to some
hardware problems I have been trying to resolve ;-)

Luck,

Dwarf