Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 06:38:54PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Ante Karamati?]
> > All new Ubuntu packages should have ITP on Debian lists. For
> > example, if I package app that isn't in Debian, and I package it for
> > Ubuntu, I will fill ITP for that package on Debian list.
>
> This is not going to work for all packages, as some package
> maintainers are not too happy about Debian

Is this judgement based on some experience you had with an Ubuntu developer?
I'd like to hear about it, because this is certainly not the common case,
and there is an unfortunate amount of myth and rumour on this subject.

> , and would only like to maintain packages in Ubuntu.  We need a procedure
> for this case as well.

As Ante pointed out, this is applicable regardless of the packages' presence
or maintainership in Debian, and was suggested as a way to improve
communication.

--
 - mdz