Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Thursday 02 June 2005 06:40, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> > If Debian treated our upstreams this way, I'd be suprised if we ever got
> > any patches accepted upstream.
>
> Debian does, in fact, treat most of its upstreams precisely this way.
> Debian publishes a large portion of its changes primarily in the form of
> monolithic diffs relative to upstream source.  The last time I saw figures,
> the usage of dpatch, cdbs, etc. was rising, but not yet the standard
> operating procedure.

Speaking only for myself, I never do this. IME monolithic diffs are almost
always not applied by upstream, splitting diffs into the smallest possible
functional units with a full explanation of what they do is the best way to
make sure the patch is applied by upstream. I do not use dpatch or cdbs, just
patchutils and a text editor.