Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 12:27:38AM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:

> Oh, I forgot to mention that if Ubuntu continues to ignore Ian Murdock's
> warnings about breaking compatability with debs, it will end up a fork
> in my book even if most of the underlying code is substantially the
> same, and this will be a very painful and damaging kind of fork too, as
> we will get deb dependency hell.

If Ian were to approach Ubuntu (rather than, say, Slashdot) with clear and
genuine concerns, I would be more than willing to discuss the situation with
him to explain what we're doing and why.

> Ignoring, flaming, and pooh-poohing Ian on this, which is all the response
> I've seen so far, is not smart. :-/

There's certainly been some amount of ignoring, but if you have records of
anyone representing Ubuntu flaming on this subject (or any other), I'd like
to hear about it privately.

--
 - mdz