Re: Dear Adrian Bunk, Please hold off a week or two

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 11:36:06AM +0200, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2005 03:43, Miles Bader wrote:
> > Bernd Eckenfels <ecki@lina.inka.de> writes:
> >> Actually I am glad somebody is working public visible on the release
> >> issues and would not critisize him for that.
> >
> > Pointing out a problem is nice, but doing so in an obnoxious manner
> > hurts.
>
> I would like to add: pointing out a problem is easy, providing good
> solutions is a lot harder. Continuously pointing out problems ("the metric
> is wrong", "testing is bad") is destructive critisism,

There's nothing wrong with destructive criticism. The correct solution
to an activity which is actually bad *is* to destroy it. Some
activities don't need replacing with a more productive one, they just
need eliminating.

Being obnoxious is unproductive, but that's not the annoying thing
here either.

The thing about Bunk which is annoying is the way he is continually
searching for reasons to destroy testing by proving it bad, and
continually *failing*. Not many people would mind if he was actually
right. It's being wrong every time, on a weekly basis (because he has
an axe to grind but no actual point) which annoys people.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |