Re: Release update: minor delay; no non-RC fixes; upgrade reports

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 12:59:26PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> Since it seems noone of the release team bothered to pay this part of
> the price for the testing release process, I'm sometimes using one or
> two spare hours to go a bit through update_excuses and report half a
> dozen of such issues.

> Steve saw this, and before the latest release update he sent (which was
> the one before yours), he asked me in a private mail about a prediction
> how many such RC bugs I'd expect in sarge for inclusion in his release
> update.

> It seems my prediction about the number of such issues didn't match his
> wishes regarding the state of sarge, and he did therefore neither answer
> my email nor mention this in the release update nor does it seem he
> assigned a member of the release team to do this work properly.

On the contrary, I found your answer reasonably satisfactory, and as a
result had postponed replying to you in favor of dealing with more directly
pressing release issues.

You indicated that as of two weeks ago, you'd been through the "middle
seventh" of update_excuses checking for unidentified RC bugs, and that most
of the packages below this range were not in testing and therefore wouldn't
hold many hidden RC bugs; and I've been tracking the status of RC bugs
closed since the freeze began, which accounts for many (though not all) of
the more recent uploads.

So it is probably true that sarge will release with some RC bugs that could
have easily been fixed had we known about them, but I don't think this
number will be so great that we want to redirect resources or delay the
release in order to try to catch them.  I don't think it's realistic to
charge the release team with identifying all RC bugs in the distribution,
only to take care that we don't release with them once they are so
identified.

> [1] And no, version tracking in the BTS wouldn't prevent this problem.
>     In my experience, there are so many of these issues reported with
>     a wrong version or manually closed or even without any bug report in
>     the BTS that claiming version tracking might eliminate this problem
>     sounds like a bad joke.

<shrug> The problems you describe are not ones that would go away with the
removal of testing; if maintainers are not engaged in the process of
ensuring their packages are free of RC bugs for release, and do not take
care that RC bugs are a) documented in the BTS, b) filed at the correct
severity, and c) fixed in the version of the package that's releasing (in
case something goes wrong with a and b), we are going to miss RC bugs that
could have been caught.  This is a social problem, not a technical one, and
I don't think there are any viable technical solutions.

For my part, I have explicitly *not* given a free pass to packages with RC
bugs that were filed a long time ago but only recently raised to their
proper severity.  It's great if bug submitters know what severity a bug
should be filed at, but it's the *responsibility* of the maintainer to
adjust the severity if it's wrong -- even if that means raising the
severity, something none of us want to do.  Even more, it's the maintainer's
responsibility to *deal with* such bugs at the proper severity even if they
were filed wrong.  It simply can't be the responsibility of any central
group to babysit the severities of bugs filed: that's not scalable in the
least.

So yes, sarge will ship with bugs that should have been considered RC.  But
this is inevitable in any case because of the many RC bugs that are never
*identified* by our testing, so there's no reason for the release team to
treat these bugs as blocking issues if no one cares enough to make sure
they're brought to our attention.  This doesn't mean that your work to
identify overlooked RC bugs is any less valuable, Adrian, or that I'm any
less grateful to you for it (in spite of the visceral irritation sometimes
at seeing the bug count moving in the wrong direction ;).  It just means
having a pragmatic, big-picture view of what it means to release, and
whether the improvement to sarge is worth it to our users every time we
delay another week to fix a handful of bugs.  After all, let's not forget
that sarge is already quite good, and nothing to be ashamed of!

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer