Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 01:34:51PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:

> I may do that too, but its architecture support is abysmal compared to
> Debian, so I have no choice in the matter at this point (and lack the time
> to port ubuntu to all my archs).

Ubuntu currently has first-class ports for i386, amd64 and powerpc, and
second-class ports for ia64 and sparc.  Whether that qualifies as abysmal,
of course, depends on the needs of the individual or organization involved.

> Which is too bad; it shouldn't be too hard to have ubuntu support every
> arch that debian does.

Given that Ubuntu is based on Debian, there isn't much porting work to be
done at all for architectures that Debian already supports.  However, any
new port needs a custodian (or better, a team of them) to take
responsibility for it.  Given that, it is not a problem to get the relevant
infrastructure in place for building and distributing packages.

--
 - mdz