Debian Packaging Question

Hello all,

I hope I have the right list.  If not, just kindly point me in the right
direction.

I am attempting to develop my own .deb packages that customize a debian
installation for our network.  Some of my packages attempt to divert files out
of the way in preinst before unpacking my custom files in their place.  A good
example is autofs.  My autofs configuration package will attempt to divert
/etc/auto.master in preinst, and unpack my own /etc/auto.master in it's place.

But, when I try to have the autofs packages and my autofs configuration
package installed at the same time, I get some errors back from my preinst
script:

| Unpacking autofs (from .../autofs_4.1.3+4.1.4beta2-10_i386.deb) ...
| Selecting previously deselected package libhesiod0.
| Unpacking libhesiod0 (from .../libhesiod0_3.0.2-15.1_i386.deb) ...
| Selecting previously deselected package autofs-hesiod.
| Unpacking autofs-hesiod (from .../autofs-hesiod_4.1.3+4.1.4beta2-10_i386.deb
| ) ...
| Selecting previously deselected package tiem.autofs-config.
| Unpacking tiem.autofs-config (from .../tiem.autofs-config_1.0_all.deb) ...
| tiem.autofs-config::preinst::install (new version)
| *** WARNING: Cannot divert file:
| File: /etc/auto.master
| File does not exist
| *** WARNING: Cannot divert file:
| File: /etc/auto.media
| File does not exist
| dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/tiem.autofs-config_1.0_all.de
| b (--unpack):
| trying to overwrite `/etc/auto.master', which is also in package autofs
| tiem.autofs-config::postrm::abort-install (new version)

The error messages are from my preinst script, which checks for the existence
of the files-to-be-diverted before attempting to divert them.

I thought I had this licked, because I made my autofs configuration package
(tiem.autofs-config) Pre-Depend on autofs and autofs-hesiod.  I thought that
doing so would force dpkg to configure autofs and autofs-hesiod *BEFORE*
installing my tiem.autofs-config.

What *should* I be doing instead?

Thanks for your help,

Michael Peek