Re: Linda warnings

On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 01:31:31PM -0500, Peter Samuelson wrote:

> [Roberto C. Sanchez]
> > > W: toshutils; Package Build-Depends on automake* or autoconf.
> > >  This package Build-Depends on automake* or autoconf. This is almost
> > >  never a good idea, as the package should run autoconf or automake on
> > >  the source tree before the source package is built.
>
> There's lots of debate about this one.  If your package uses horrible
> macros and kludges to make everything work, you may wish to play it
> cautious and manually run the same version of autoconf upstream uses.
> If it doesn't, in my view it's the responsibility of the autoconf
> maintainer to ensure that what he packages doesn't break arbitrary
> documented features.  The big problem was autoconf 2.13 -> 2.5x, but
> it's easy enough to make sure you run the correct one of those.
>
> automake1.x seems reasonable to depend on, since the maintainer has
> provided multiple versioned packages, so you can reasonably expect the
> API not to change within a single package.

The only reason I need to them is to autoreconf.  I have incorporated a
patch from ALT Linux that sets up thoshutils to use GTK2.  It does this
by modifying the configure.in to look for GTK2 instead of GTK+.  Thus,
the need for autoconf and automake.

> > > W: toshutils; The file config.guess contains a timestamp line that is less than 2002.
> > >  The autoconf file shown above contains a timestamp variable that has a
> > >  year that is less than 2002. This means you need to update your
> > >  autoconf files, as the current files will make it hard for your
> > >  package to auto-build.
> > > W: toshutils; The file config.sub contains a timestamp line that is less than 2002.
>
> Build-depend on autotools-dev, and copy /usr/share/misc/config.guess
> and config.sub into place at build time.  ln -fs also works.  It's a
> very light build dep, so there's not much point in patching the right
> files into the source diff.gz.  (However, note that if you don't want
> to bloat your diff.gz you may wish to mv the old files out of the way,
> and mv them back in your 'clean' target.)

OK. No problem.

> > > W: toshutils; The command xmessage -timeout 10 `fan -f` listed in a menu file does not exist.
> > > W: toshutils; The command xmessage -timeout 10 `fan -n` listed in a menu file does not exist.
> > > W: toshutils; The command xmessage -timeout 10 `fan` listed in a menu file does not exist.
>
> Those seem pretty legitimate, although there's an argument to be made
> that menu should provide a syntax for this type of status display, so
> individual apps don't have to do it by hand.  (Some window managers and
> desktop environments might have alternative facilities to xmessage,
> better integrated into their own weltanschauung.)
I agree.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez