Re: unrar version confusion

I'm the (previous) maintainer of unrar. Jose Carlos Medeiros has offered to
adopt it.

On Sun, May 22, 2005 at 02:36:50PM +0200, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> On Sun, May 22, 2005 at 12:41:11AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > - rename the unrar-nonfree package back to unrar
> > - rename the free unnrar package to unrar-free (it can even be left out
> >   of sarge (version 0.0.1 that is the one year old latest upstream
> >   version...))
> > - get the non-free package that is again named unrar back into sarge

I support your suggestions of renaming. I also think there should be an
unrar implementation in the next Debian stable. Currently there is none.
(The Debian project distributes a non-free unrar from its servers, but it's
not part of Debian.)

I've kept unrar intentionally out of sarge because of incompability
problems. Changing the package name and fixing rest of the bugs (I've sent
some patches) would allow it go in.

> Once the free unrar matured enough, it can probably ultimately replace
> unrar (again), but until that time, I really do believe the free unrar
> should be named differently until that point is reached. I offer my
> assistance to get this happening again because of what I've done to
> unstable at the moment.

Jose, have you got any comments? Have you got a sponsor? Jeroen, could you
sponsor Jose if needed?

--
Niklas Vainio <niklas.vainio@iki.fi>