Re: unrar version confusion

On Sun, May 22, 2005 at 12:41:11AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> - rename the unrar-nonfree package back to unrar
> - rename the free unnrar package to unrar-free (it can even be left out
>   of sarge (version 0.0.1 that is the one year old latest upstream
>   version...))
> - get the non-free package that is again named unrar back into sarge

I've done the first point, neglecting the second point for now, and the
third point is an RM decision.

My rationale to do this, is:

- woody shipped with a non-free unrar named 'unrar', and it worked
- the free version is not functionally equivalent yet, of the .rar files
  in the wild, I couldn't actually find a single one that was
  unpackeable with the free unrar.
- So, it's too late now to have sarge ship with a free alternative,
  because development of that one simply hasn't reached a functionally
  (nearly-?) equivalent version. For etch, let's see, but for sarge,
  let's just maintain the situation as it was in woody: a non-free
  'unrar' for people not objecting to non-free who want to unrar files.

Once the free unrar matured enough, it can probably ultimately replace
unrar (again), but until that time, I really do believe the free unrar
should be named differently until that point is reached. I offer my
assistance to get this happening again because of what I've done to
unstable at the moment.

RMs, please review unrar-nonfree 1:3.5.2-0.1, restoring a new version of
the unrar that was in woody to sarge.

Thanks,
--Jeroen

--