Re: unrar version confusion

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 10:58:52PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 03:45:10PM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > Quoting Nico Golde <nico@ngolde.de>:
> > >Why is the latest version in debian lower than the one before?
> > >Regards Nico
> >
> > Becuase it is, in fact, a different program.  The higher numbered releases
> > are of a non-free version of unrar.  The newer releases are of a free
> > version
> > that is going into main.
>
> Then the new program should still have a higher version number, to allow
> people who currently use the non-free program to upgrade to the free
> program.
>
> If the non-free program has more features than the free program,
> however, then it should probably have a different name.

The non-free program has more features, and I'm therefore still not a
fan of the fact that the free version got the name of the non-free
version while the non-free version was renamed.

I don't believe it's a good way to convince people of the superiority of
free software by automatically replacing non-free software with inferior
free software on upgrades...

Why didn't the non-free program simply keep it's name with the free
program getting a different name?

That the free unrar is a one year old version 0.0.1 (and there doesn't
seem to be any more recent version) doesn't make it better...

Repairing this issue by simply renaming the non-free package back to
unrar and giving the free program a different name should be pretty
straightforward and doable for sarge.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.