Re: [Release Notes] Use Woody's or Sarge's aptitude for upgrades?

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 08:17:49PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 May 2005 02:47, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Is there a difference in packages removed if you run "aptitude install
> > aptitude" instead of "aptitude install aptitude dpkg"?  I don't see any
> > reason why dpkg needs to be upgraded first, unlike aptitude.

> No, makes no real difference. I still need perl to keep my system at least
> somewhat alive.

Yes, of course.  I wasn't suggesting otherwise.

> > If perl needs to be added to the list, I say to just add it.  People
> > who have Prio: standard packages missing from their systems probably
> > won't want to follow our advise to use aptitude, either.

> perl was not missing on my system. It just needed to be upgraded along
> with aptitude because of dependencies (no idea which). That upgrade had
> to be forced by adding it in the install command.
> Otherwise perl would be removed, taking half my system with it.

> I think we will be getting two kinds of upgrade:
> - servers or light desktops that can get by with just upgrading aptitude
> - desktops with kde, gnome (from unofficial backports or not) that will
>   have to look at the results of 'aptitude install aptitude' and decide if
>   anything else is needed; perl probably is a prime candidate

> I going to try to rewrite/reorganize chapter 4 of the release notes
> somewhat on Saturday to see if I can make the upgrade instructions a bit
> more organic.

So you don't think it's reasonable to just list perl as a package to
aptitude install prior to dist-upgrading?  I really can't imagine why
someone who has stripped perl off of their system would care about the
instructions in the release notes at all :)

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer