Re: RES: /usr/lib vs /usr/libexec

    Thomas> sbin is for things that should be in root's path.  The
    Thomas> executables in question are ones that shouldn't be in
    Thomas> anyone's path.  (The standard example is programs started
    Thomas> only by inetd.)

Why not put them under /usr/lib/$packagename/*?

I have only seen one argument against this proposal, and that was of
(unverified) performance issues.

If a given file system does have performance problems with /usr/lib,
isn't the correct solution to fix the file system?

Disclaimer: I don't care too much either way. It is perhaps worth
noting that a package I maintain does use /usr/lib/$packagename/* for
inetd servers, and this reduces file conflicts with other packages.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>