Re: RES: /usr/lib vs /usr/libexec

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 07:21:26AM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:
>
> > For me, this is a closed issue until you change the FHS.  (Something that
> > I don't think is very likely to happen, but best of luck to you.)
>
> Since the FHS tries to be responsive to what different distributions
> want, this doesn't help in the question: Should Debian lobby to get
> the FHS changed.

That is an interesting question.

Is there already Debian policy or custom that has bearing on this question ?

or is this best left to the individual, or until a need presents ?

Debian is growing into more than just a Linux system,
perhaps the FHS could grow with it ?

It seems to me that a good part of making any such change viable,
is in the implementation and at the tool level.

As things currently stand would it be a bug to ship a package that simply
provides the directory /usr/libexec ?  or even gives you then option of
a symlink at install time ?  how does the Debian GNU/Hurd get round this ?

as it goes:
	(the option for) distinct / and /usr makes sense to me
	don't like /etc clutter.  perhaps /etc/usr or /usr/etc could be good ?
	if /usr/lib isn't an index for the runtime linker, what is it ?

So while I agree that /usr/lib seems to be overloaded unnecessarily,
at the end of the day, even if we had /usr/libexec/ an occassional file
misfiled in /usr/lib/ would only be a very minor bug? or is there other
value to obtained further down the road in this program of reform ?

Regards,
Paddy
--
Perl 6 will give you the big knob. -- Larry Wall