Re: debian sarge is 3.2 or 4 ?

Hello Bartosz,

* Bartosz Fenski aka fEnIo <fenio@debian.org> [2005-05-05 11:40]:
> On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 01:17:45AM +0200, Andrea Mennucc wrote:
> > Considering that woody was released 19 Jul 2002, it took us
> > ~3 years to release; in the meantime, all most important
> > components changed completely; and we did a lot of work
> > in Sarge, that I do not want to see numerically
> > represented as
> >     sarge = woody + 0.1
> >
> > So I would much prefer if sarge would be called "Debian 4"
> >
> > Do you agree?
>
> I would prefer to be maintainer of the well known distribution which
> *doesn't* bump versions only for the fun of it.
>
> I know that for most people numbers have some magic meaning, but please can
> we try to provide stable OS by its quality and not version number?
>
> Calling sarge 4.0 won't make it better.

No but it will show that many things changed. Normally if I
see software for exampled which increases the version number
to 0.1 it shows that only minor fixes were done or small new
features are available. I don't think that the new installer
for instance is only a minor change.

Anyway, time is too late and there are things more important
to be done.
Regards Nico
--
Nico Golde - 310777820@ICQ | GPG: 1024D/73647CFF