Re: Ubuntu and its "appropriation" of Debian maintainers

On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 05:25:41PM -0500, Kenneth Pronovici wrote:

> On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 03:00:54PM -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > I sent several of the early Ubuntu announcements to debian-devel, so that
> > everyone knew what was happening and would have a point of contact if they
> > had any concerns (me).
>
> Matt, I'm not looking to pick a fight with you here.  It feels a bit
> like you're taking this personally, and I don't think you need to.

I do find it disappointing when things are presented this way, despite the
efforts that we have made to avoid tension, but it is not a personal issue.

> You just have to keep in mind that even though all of *you* know what's
> going on at Ubuntu, most of *us* don't.  I've tried to keep on top of
> this (as much as I can), but I sure didn't know you were supposed to be
> the main point of contact.  Maybe I missed something obvious... but I
> did miss it.  Others appear to have missed it as well.

I'm not supposed to be the main point of contact (we publish that on the
website), but as both a Debian developer and an Ubuntu developer, I'm happy
to act as a liaison.  That's what I'm doing on the occasions when I wear my
Ubuntu hat in a Debian context.  I wouldn't mind publishing a specific
contact address for Debian-related issues if I thought it would help.

> > There is also a "Feedback" hyperlink at the bottom of every page on
> > www.ubuntu.com (and given the subject of this thread, it is well known
> > that the Launchpad and Ubuntu projects are related).
>
> Well, ok, but that doesn't necessarily mean that whoever reads
> <info@ubuntulinux.org> cares about this particular problem or has any
> control over the Launchpad.  You presumably know who reads the mail sent
> to that address; I don't.  My first guess was that it was a marketing
> contact address, not an address used to get in contact with technical
> people.

The people who read that email address absolutely do care about concerns
like this, and if they cannot answer an Ubuntu question directly, they
will forward it to someone who can.  I wouldn't consider this a technical
issue, but if a technical question were sent to info@, it would be directed
appropriately.

--
 - mdz