Re: suggested buildd service [Was: Re: Compiling on a Debian machine]

On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 01:10:50PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Hi,
> Shaun Jackman <sjackman@gmail.com> writes:
> > Hello,
> >
> > How do I use a Debian machine, such as bruckner, to test a source
> > package by compiling for powerpc? I see bruckner has a sarge chroot.
> > What's the magic command to start the build in this chroot? I know of
> > pbuilder -- though I haven't used it much admittedly -- but there is
> > no pbuilder command in the path.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Shaun
> I've had an idea in mind for quite some time now for just this
> problem.
> It would be nice to have a buildd where maintainer can upload sources
> for a testbuild and they get a buildd log back (and possibly the
> packages).

What would be the gain? I can see two reasons why anyone would want to
build something on a specific architecture: to test autobuilding on that
architecture, and to fix architecture-specific bugs on one architecture.

For the former, it doesn't really matter which architecture is being
used; you can test using the experimental buildds as well, or you can
set up your own buildd environment.

For the latter, having an autobuild doesn't exactly help anyway -- in
most cases, you need to log in and run tests on the architecture in

What would be the benefit of having a buildd that sends build logs to
the package maintainer that we don't have with any of the currently
existing systems?

pavement is precisely one bananosecond