Re: libsasl2 and libmysql* updates for sarge

On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 10:03:01AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Since dovecot, libnss-mysql, and libnss-mysql-bg have already been updated to
> > use libmysqlclient12, the main reason for *not* updating cyrus-sasl2, the
> > MTAs, and the ftp daemons (i.e.: segfaults from mixing and matching) no
> > longer applies.  I would accept an update of cyrus-sasl2 built against
> > libmysqlclient12, but I would prefer to see at least exim4 and postfix
> > updated first.

> Do you want an cyrus-sasl2 upload that conflicts with all packages depending
> on both cyrus-sasl2 and libmysqlclient{!12} ?  I will bump the shlibdep info
> as well.

I'd rather not have either conflicts or a shlibdep bump here, because I
think there's a diminishing-returns argument against it: conflicts in
particular make upgrades painful, and shlibdeps have no bearing on plugins.

> > Even if they weren't all done together, there's still a possibility of
> > segfaults because of libnss-mysql right now, so it's worth transitioning as

> The truth is libnss-mysql (and any other libnss-* of the sort) should
> conflict with any libmysqlclient (or any other lib of the sort) it is not
> linked to.  This is utter braindamage that can only be really fixed by
> enforcing a versioned-symbols-or-die rule.

It's braindamage that we've lived with for a while, without major incident;
while I want to eliminate as much of it as possible, it doesn't seem to be
enough of a problem in practice to justify making it harder to upgrade in
the general case.

> > Incidentally, I think cyrus-sasl2-mit's build-dep on libmysqlclient10-dev is
> > spurious and should be dropped.

> Please file a bug, I am not the maintainer for cyrus-sasl2-mit...

Oh, but you offered to take care of it, I thought :)

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer