Re: Sarge release for amd64 - Please help to fix the remaining bugs

Hi Andreas,

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 11:32:25AM +0200, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> Packages from sarge with build problems on amd64

> There are still a few packages in sarge which fail to build from source
> on amd64. Those packages will not be part of the amd64 release of sarge.

> The packages mentioned in the table below and all their dependencies
> will not be part of the amd64 sarge release unless the listed problems
> get fixed really soon and the fixed package versions make it into sarge.

> The following architecture specific packages from Debian sarge/main
> currently (as of 2005-04-24) fail to build from source for amd64:

It's probably worth noting that some of these failures also affect other
architectures and are RC bugs; thus, they won't ship with *any* architecture
in sarge unless they're fixed. :-)

> Package          BTS Bug   Problem description
> ---------------- -------   ---------------------------------------------------
> libmysqlclient-lgpl -      Linuxthreads test has to be switched off for amd64

I'm not going to give this a high priority, personally; all my reasons for
adding this package in the first place have since been addressed by the
upstream licensing fixes, so anything still using it is of fairly limited
use (especially with the protocol incompatibilities with MySQL 4.1).

> portslave        -         "pppd.h: No such file or directory"

Hmm, you may want to re-check this against current versions of ppp and
portslave.

> ruby-gnome2      #304951   "*** extconf.rb failed ***"

RC bug, definitely fixed one way or another as soon as glibc is unstuck.

> xview            #294844+  amd64 missing from architecture list

A package with historical 64-bit issues, and not much of a use case in
modern envs, AFAICT; seems unlikely to be fixed.

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer