Re: Status of PHP5?

On Monday 25 of April 2005 20:18, Romain Francoise wrote:
> Piotr Roszatycki <Piotr_Roszatycki@netia.net.pl> writes:

> You forgot:
>
> 5. Your packages use a radically different build system (yada) that not
>    all developers are comfortable with (understatement);

No one was interested in converting it to the other system. I see no problem
as far as I'd like to see ANY official php5 package. The YADA is very easy
and powerful tool and I allowed me to make a packages quickly. I can use the
same source for sid, sarge and woody release. The includes and macros gives
me possibility to reuse the code. The patches are handled very comfortable. I
don't see any bonus in converting the YADA-based packages to the other build
system. I don't understand why it might be a reason for rejection.

> 6. Your packages include patches that may not be suitable for general
>    use in Debian (like Hardened PHP);

Did you analyse the patch? It doesn't break binary compatibility with
non-patched binaries. It shouldn't break anything. At least it could be easly
removed without breaking anyting ease. I need the BTS so the people could
send the reports. I've got many on my mailbox. They asked, why there is no
official php5.

> 7. As far as I can tell, you didn't discuss any of your proposed changes
>    beforehand and presented your packages as final without justification.
>    If you had presented a rationale for each change, and worked with the
>    PHP maintainers to create your php5 packages, you might have had more
>    success.

For 6 month I see nothing. Where are the packages? The people need them. I'm
not just talking. I'm working on _my_ packages and I'm doing it as well as I
can do it. Do you have better packages? So please upload it into incoming. Or
just allow me to make a good job on them. Don't obstruct the Debian project.

--
 .''`.    Piotr Roszatycki, Netia SA
: :' :    mailto:Piotr_Roszatycki@netia.net.pl