Re: Why do we still have this on the distribution?

Andrew Pollock wrote:
> > > - sarge is around the corner, and keeping it in means maintaining
> > >   it for possibly another 2-4 years!  if it's *already*
> > >   no longer maintained upstream...
> >
> > This raises a valid point; maybe the maintainer can comment on this? Since
> > we already receive no security updates to php3 from upstream, is it
> > feasible security-wise to keep it in the distribution for some years to
> > come?
> >
> I think the opinion of the stable release manager and security team should
> rank higher than the maintainer also.

Well, having less packages to maintain security-wise is always better.
However, if there is still a valid need for PHP3 in addition to PHP4
and maybe even in addition to PHP5, there's a good reason keeping the
packages.  We cannot simply request its removal.  With the help of the
maintainer it may be possible to give proper support.

In the beginning was the word, and the word was content-type: text/plain