Why do we still have this on the distribution?

Hi fellows,

 while grepping thru the Vancouver thread, I was trying to understand
 why Sparc isn't in the "likely first class citizens for etch" list.

 My impression was that Sparc is one of the "healthy" ports.  Looking at
 http://buildd.debian.org/ I noticed that, say:

 http://buildd.debian.org/quinn-diff/output/unstable/by_priority-sparc.txt

 is three years old.  Browsing even more I found:

 http://buildd.debian.org/stats/?arch=sparc&state=Needs-Build

 is I guess is better, but doesn't really help me understand some
 numbers others have posted (notably, that sparc is below the 98% line).

 Discussing this with someone who actually uses the Sparc port on a
 daily basis, we noticed that we still have php3 in the archive.
 Looking at depencencies I see:

$ grep-available -n -s Package -F Depends php3 | sort -u
acidlab
acidlab-mysql
acidlab-pgsql
dacode
dcl
eskuel
hawxy
htcheck-php
libphp-hawhaw
libphp-phplot
nagat
php3-cgi-gd
php3-cgi-imap
php3-cgi-ldap
php3-cgi-magick
php3-cgi-mhash
php3-cgi-mysql
php3-cgi-pgsql
php3-cgi-snmp
php3-cgi-xml
php3-gd
php3-imap
php3-ldap
php3-magick
php3-mhash
php3-mysql
php3-pgsql
php3-snmp
php3-xml
phpgroupware-napster
spip
spip-eva
twig

 I don't use PHP at all, but I know this much: PHP3 is code left to
 rot.  Are people really maintaining code this old?  Old per se is not
 the problem, but old, unmaintained, complex and shown to have security
 problems is.

 During the discussion another point came up regarding the download
 metrics: all architectures are equal, but some are more equal than
 others.  You can't compare 16 i386s to a single sparc with 16
 processors with such a metric.

--
Marcelo