Re: Thoughts about changing Debian's release process

Andrew Pollock wrote:
> > > Not only this, we need the possibility to setup an alternate machine quickly
> > > in case of hardware problems.  And we even have the solution inside Debian:
> > >
> > >       FAI
> > >
> > > Why not setting up important machines with FAI?
> >
> > Because that's not the solution.
> >
> > Installing a machine with Debian is not the problem.
> >
> > Installing and/or recreating the services on them is.
> > This requires manual work, either during the recreation
> > phase or during the development.
>
> That's not true. If you can script it, FAI can do it. It just becomes a
> post-installation task. Using packages.d.o as an example, it's just going to
> be a predominantly an Apache configuration and some scripts, right? So you
> restore the scripts from backup, and dump the Apache config into the
> appropriate directory, all from within FAI.

... and adding users
... and adding groups
... and permissions
... fixing/checking paths
... and adding links
... and initialising
... and fixing scripts
... and fixing the installation
... and adding more permissions
... and monitoring the initialisation

Feel free to package package.debian.org, or qa.debian.org, or
planet.debian.org, or $whatever for/with FAI.  Then come back.

> FAI can be a total disaster recovery solution when you couple it with your
> backups, however I will freely admit that it takes a lot of time (and
> testing) to get it such that you can punch out an identical box,
> sausage-machine style. Then of course you need to keep it up to date as
> well.

Feel free to do so.

Regards,

	Joey

--
GNU GPL: "The source will be with you... always."