Re: dpatch and patching debian/rules

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:

> also sprach Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> [2005.03.30.1529 +0200]:
>> Well, I had never heard of anyone crazy enough to patch
>> debian/rules at runtime...  You're the first.
> Yeah!
> We are packaging zope-common from Ubuntu for Debian, patching it
> with dpatch to make it easier later on for Ubuntu to base its work
> on Debian, rather than the other way around (even though doko/Ubuntu
> did most of the work so far).

There is a way to cause make to re-read a Makefile: Makefile remaking.

debian/rules: debian/rules.in
     $(command that recreates debian/rules) --infile $< --outfile $@

$(command that recreates debian/rules) would somehow check whether it is
a Debian build or an Ubuntu build (looking at environment variables,
file existense, whatever) and change debian/rules accordingly.  And make
will reread the file after it has updated it.

Regards, Frank
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich
Debian Developer