Re: Add a project to debian

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 02:30:26PM +0000, Alex Papadopoulos wrote:
> Ok thanks for the quick reply. Another question though that I forgot
> before, if the sponsor uploads the packages is he automatically the
> maintainer of the package (because if this is the case, then it means that
> sponsoring is a very demanding process for him, and makes therefore
> sponsoring a quite difficult task for me).

Not really.  The maintainer of a package is the person listed in the
Maintainer: field for that package.  The job of a sponsor is a fairly
demanding one, though -- you have to carefully check the package over to
make sure it is as good as it can be, and doesn't contain any potentially
harmful code.  It's generally preferred if the sponsor uses the package or
is interested in it in some way, so they're more motivated to check the
package properly.

> And by maintaining activally my package is it possible to become allegible
> for debian developper, being able therefore to upload my packages on my own
> ?

Yes.  That is the typical way to become a Debian Developer these days:
maintain one or more packages through a sponsor for a little while, so you
get experience and confidence, and then apply for NM (New Maintainer) and go
from there through the process.

- Matt