dpatch and patching debian/rules

It seems tha dpatch cannot be trivially used to patch debian/rules
when the patch target is called implicitly. Note that it works if
I invoke build and then binary separately. If I invoke binary, which
depends on build, the patches are applied, but the debian/rules file
is already read and patches do not take effect.

I am not sure if this is a known problem, I could not find
information on it. I am not sure how this could be fixed.

Or am I doing something wrong?

`. `'`

military justice is to justice what military music is to music.
                                                       -- groucho marx