Re: NEW handling: About rejects, and kernels

md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) writes:

> (I already asked you to please stop Cc'ing me on every reply, what else
> do I need to do?)

Fix Debian's gnus. :)

> On Mar 27, Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> wrote:
>
> > > We are unable to fix security bugs in hardware with non-modifiable
> > > firmware and modifiable but permanently stored firmware too. Should we
> > > drop support for these devices too?
> > In that case, we are not responsible for shipping them the buggy
> > software in the first place.

> This looks like a very weak argument. Considering that users need anyway
> the drivers for these devices (it's not like there is any choice for
> e.g. DVB receivers and USB DSL modems), I think it's quite obvious that
> they prefer to have them in Debian.

I don't think it's the least bit obvious.

But your argument here is simply "users want it, so we should ship
it."

That doesn't get at the original question:

What is the reduced set of freedoms you want?

Why is this class of software so different from every other that we
should accept this reduced set of freedoms?

Thomas