Re: NEW handling: About rejects, and kernels

On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 12:00:20AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:
> > You don't have that freedom now. Your PC is full of firmware that you
> > don't have source to, probably can't change and probably can't recompile
> > anyway. It's your motherboard BIOS, it's in your hard drive, SCSI
> > controller, SATA controller, video card, ADSL/cable modem, your CRT or
> > LCD monitor and also your CPU.
> >
> > Don't you want to modify the source code for those too?
[..]

> Huh?  I'm not saying I pretend it isn't there.  Do I want to modify
> the source code?  No, because there's nothing I could do with it if I
> could.

Sure there is. Your motherboard FLASH can almost certainly be
reprogrammed in the field, as can the FLASH in your video card, hard
disk, and broadband modem. Probably not your monitor, admittedly.
Why is it OK for those vendors not to provide you with the source?

I'm losing interest in rehashing old arguments.

Hamish