Re: discrepancies between uploaded and source-built .deb

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 11:24:34AM -0800, Karl Chen wrote:

>     fant> What do you do to look at the differences?
>
> I'm just doing a diff between the list of files produced (the
> thing I'm doing changes compiled output files anyway) - so
> timestamps shouldn't affect anything.  Some of them just produce
> different number of 'info' files; but some actually differ in
> programs in /usr/bin.  I think that should be consistent at least.
>
> If I see something like a program missing from /usr/bin, is it
> worth investigating and filing a bug?

Of course, a recompile dropping a program from /usr/bin most likely
is a bug...

I assume you use 'debdiff' that actually does those list you the
differences in file lists? And also differences in dependencies, if a
recompile introduces another dependency, it is worth fixing this now,
because after sarge is released, this might cause problems in the
future with security updates.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar