Re: Do not make gratuitous source uploads just to provoke the buildds!

Mike Fedyk <mfedyk@matchmail.com> writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>      I was thinking of having support in the buildd to fetch source, check
> a local patch archive for fixes, patch source, build package, add
> patch to each debs /usr/share/doc/package/.
>
> Would that satisfy the GPL or other DFSG licenses?
>

> As long as the patches are made available to the same people who can get the
> binaries, you should be set.
> Though, just for ease of access, it should be made available in a similar way
> to what the tier1 arches do for their sources.
> Mike

As I said, the patch relative to the debian source package would be in
the deb. I believe the changes file and version can be made to make
DAK keep the right source version in the archive. So people that have
the deb do have the patch and can get the source to apply it to.

The idea for this comes from having some 5 line patch to add amd64
support to a package and maintainers that don't add the patch for
several uploads. I guess for tier1/2 archs porters can just NMU them
in. But for tier3, totaly new ports or experimental archives like the
gcc-4.0 compiled amd64 one where the patches might not be ready for
unstable this could be usefull.

MfG
        Goswin