Re: A new arch support proposal, hopefully consensual (?)

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 07:22:07PM +0100, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 1111331797.6612.84.camel@pianobar.home.ouaza.com> you wrote:
> > Debian as a whole shouldn't suffer from minority arches. So we decide to
> > refuse most of the constraints imposed by the minority arches... this
> > way the release team shouldn't pester porter until they setup an
> > rbuilder for security uploads or a supplementary buildd.
>
> A good strategy would be to limit the bandwith, cpu-power and man-power
> needed to build the packages of a distribution. This essentially means you
> only release a base system, like Fedora or FreeBSD does.
>
> Releases of additional packages ("Extra", "Ports") can then be made as
> snapshots with different release cylces for the slower architectures.

Every proposal that has different releases for different architectures
causes serious additional burdens for your security team.

> I think it is important to release the base system more often, and I really
> admire what Fedora has done here. And this was for sure only possible with
> a limited set of packages.

If you split Debian into parts with independent sub-releases (like into
a "base system" and "extra" parts), getting all combinations of these
parts and all upgrades of parts correct at a level Debian users are used
from Debian stable becomes really non-trivial.

The complete release team signed the announcement stating that the
testing release process is not capable of release cycles in the order
of 12-18 months with 11 architectures.

The release team prefers to keep the release process with testing but
adapt the number of architectures to the capabilities of this release
process.

You want a completely different release process.

I for one do believe that the pre-testing release process was still able
to cope with releasing with the number of packages currently in unstable
on a dozen architectures and yearly releases with an amount of work
comparable to what is required for releases with the testing release
process.

> Greetings
> Bernd

cu