Re: A new arch support proposal, hopefully consensual (?)

Raphael Hertzog <raphael@ouaza.com> wrote:

> I believe everyone is supportive of the various ports, nobody has any
> interest in making a port fail... but it's clear that many maintainers
> are frustrated to be blocked because their package doesn't build on an
> arch they don't care about.

They should care about every architecture we support. Because our
architecture coverage is an important part of the spirit of this
Project, and an important feature.

If they need help, porters are here to help. They're responsive, at
least more responsive than some of the people responsible for the
Vancouver proposal.

I spent many hours (but far less than our best porters, for sure)
tracking down build failures, runtime oddities or monitoring builds on
!i386, either during BSPs or by request of the maintainer.

I had to build a package on mips which took 12 hours to build on my I2
because the request for getting build-deps installed on the d.o
machine never got processed at that time. Neither did the request for
increasing the timeout on the buildd for that particular package.

Now, there are 3 possibilities for maintainers who do not give a shit
about !i386 architectures:
 - they realize that it's important to others, and they ask for help
   or recruit co-maintainers who care (and for both of these, we
   could maybe set up a new mailing list, like -port-help or
   something);
 - they understand that it's a part of the Debian spirit, and finally
   realize that it's great to support that many architectures, even if
   they use nothing else than i386;
 - they orphan their packages, resign, and stop bothering the people
   willing to support these architectures.

As has been noted already, having a 18-24 months release cycle isn't
much of a problem; actually, enterprise users pretty much like that,
although 12 months is a more generally acceptable timeframe.

For desktop users, testing does the job (and that'll be even more true
once testing-security will be live) and for the others, there are
derivatives like Ubuntu.

JB.

- --
 Julien BLACHE - Debian & GNU/Linux Developer - <jblache@debian.org>