Re: automake/autoconf in build-dependencies

Scripsit Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp>

>> > To a certain degree, those would have been fixed if people
>> > build-depended on auto*, as they would have picked up fixed versions
>> > of the .m4 files.

>> But that has to be offset against the huge number of bugs that would
>> occur if we ran auto* at run time and had everything break everytime
>> the target moves.

> That kind of bug will appear when a user tries to modify
> other parts of the auto* files, and regenerate them.

Better have them restricted to developers and users who modify code
than to have them happen randomly to people who just want to build the
unmodified package.

Henning Makholm                     "However, the fact that the utterance by
                           Epimenides of that false sentence could imply the
           existence of some Cretan who is not a liar is rather unsettling."