Re: automake/autoconf in build-dependencies

Scripsit Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no>
> * Henning Makholm

> | When I provide a configure script in the source package it means, on
> | the contrary, that I *have* tried it and therefore has some kind of
> | evidence that it will probably work for other people too.

> You have probably only tried it on one architecture.

Which is why I wrote "some kind of evidence that it will probably
work" instead of "know that it will work".

> To a certain degree, those would have been fixed if people
> build-depended on auto*, as they would have picked up fixed versions
> of the .m4 files.

But that has to be offset against the huge number of bugs that would
occur if we ran auto* at run time and had everything break everytime
the target moves.

--
Henning Makholm         "Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit."