Re: announcing first release of common database infrastructure package

Hello

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 08:28:39AM -0500, sean finney wrote:
> hi martin,
>
> On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 01:23:51PM +1300, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> > sounds really good. How do your scripts relate to the db management
> > scripts provided by wwwconfig-common, maintained by Ola Lundqvist
> > <opal@debian.org>?
>
> my code is a superset of what's done in wwwconfig-common.  providing the
> scripts/code to manage databases is only half of the idea behind this
> project.  the other half is providing a normalized method for doing
> so (that is, not just the scripts, but debconf questions, translations,
> and a pre-arranged set of code for each maintainer script).

This sounds really great (as I'm the wwwconfig-common maintainer) !

I assume that this means that my plans to get rid of the wwwconfig-common
package is in plan.

> > I suspect your package should be either supercede wwwconfig-common or
> > be rolled into it.
>
> this supercedes what's in wwwconfig-common.  in fact, much of the
> underlying internal code is taken from or at least originally based
> on code from that package.

Nice.

There are two major parts of wwwconfig-common:

1) Database management, which now (finally) seem to be superseeded
   by another package.

2) Apache configuration, which is already superseeded as the apache
   configuration have support for config.d (etc) structure that
   make this part of wwwconfig-common unnecessary. I actually
   recommend people not to use it anymore. I think I have removed
   it from all my web packages, but I'm not sure.

There are some other minor things like exim config but that has
been superseeded a long time ago, as exim3 is not a default MTA.

I greatly appriciate your work!

For you who do not know. I wrote wwwconfig-common for one single
purpose. To be a common part for the configuration of the imp and horde
packages, so that I did not duplicate too much code there. And now
quite a lot of packages use it. :) I have actually thought of splitting
off the two parts of the configuration types to separate packages and
creating a common configuration framework. I think I have mentioned
this on mailinglists a couple of times. The problem is that I have not
really done anything, so it has been just an idea for years.

Best reagards,

// Ola

> 	sean
>
> --

/  opal@debian.org                     Annebergsslingan 37      \
|  opal@lysator.liu.se                 654 65 KARLSTAD          |
|  +46 (0)54-10 14 30                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
|  http://www.opal.dhs.org             UIN/icq: 4912500         |